Sunday, 27 August 2017

Bathroom Update

Well it's been a good four years since my last update on this old blog and things in my life have come a long way. 

My little house here in New Plymouth is my first real place to myself and it's a little bit fun getting to decide everything myself and not feel guilty if I leave a bit of mess around the place. 

I've fondly named it The Wildling Hut, 

I'm going to decorate the house slowly but I decided to start with the bathroom since it seemed to be the cheapest and easiest to do. 

Here's what the bathroom looked like on the real estate agent's ad



 A below average run of the mill old state house bathroom with exposed fittings, slightly off white colours everywhere and an ratty shower curtain.

And here it looked like the day I moved in... 


With the bright blue plastic shower curtain, it somehow looked a little worse. The bright blue reflected around the bathroom making me feel like I live in a cheap underwater hotel. 

The first thing I did was get rid of the shower curtain, literally as soon as the movers left, I took it down and went to find a new one. 

I took my inspiration from pinterest and this bathroom in particular



It had a similar set up to my bathroom except mine was a little bit more old fashioned and also given that I hadn't actually seen the property, I wasn't sure how much I could change or what really needed to be changed. 

Looking at the photos from the rental ad, I brainstormed a bit and thought the bathroom probably needed an updo to make it look warmer and a bit more upscale (as upscale as an old state house bathroom can look without completely redoing it). So I decided on a black and white shower curtain, a dark round mirror, natural fibre baskets and a whole lot of greenery in white pots to add a bit more life into room. 

Without further drivel, here's the bathroom now:




Originally I was going to get this shower curtain from Kmart, I thought the simple spots would help tone down the not-so-niceness of the room and it keep it nice and simple.


But after being grossed out by the neon blue shower curtain and needing a shower meant that I had to take what I would get locally. I had a quick look online of things that might be avaliable locally and found this cool black and white moroccan shower curtain from Spotlight.



I headed down there and they had it! Thank goodness to because all the other black and white shower curtains were not my thing. 




I wasn't sure what to do with the weird space beneath the sink but decided some baskets might work given that the bathroom lacks storage too. 

I got both the baskets from The Warehouse. I love the little basket for toilet paper and the bigger one is great for my dirty washing (although that might have to change when I start having more people over) but the white paint on the bigger basket is done a bit shoddily, not like something that has been done by a actual manufacturer. I might have to tidy it up sometime. 


The round mirror, the wall handle and most of the little containers in the medicine cabinet are from Kmart. The wall handle was originally light wood but I spray painted it black to match the shower caddy (more on that later). The medicine cabinet needs a little touch up too but I've organised it to make it look as nice as possible in the mean time.




 I shopped around for a shower caddy. I wanted a black, sharped edged one but I couldn't find one that wasn't worth my life savings, or didn't attach to the wall with suckers.

So I ended up buying this one from Kmart and spray painted it flat black with Rustoleum Flat Black.

I'm in love with the look of it. I also spray painted the hooks to match (they are just cheap removable hooks).




I've added jars with scrubs and bath salts on the windowsill but I think I'll also put a candle up there (and probably around the bathtub too).



I also want to put some more plants on the windowsill, build a bath tray and put some more hooks up next to the door for my guests bath towels since there is only one towel rail.

But there you go. The first room pretty much done in my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment