Saturday, 27 April 2013

I Built a Desk... oh yes!


Surprise! I've already built my rustic plank desk. I actually got it finished early this week but I was camera-less for awhile so couldn't take photos. 

I headed off to Mitre 10 for the lumber for my desk. While not the cheapest option, it is really convenient to be able to see the prices and sizes available and just pick the right lumber off the racks. 



The only logical place to put my office was in my bedroom since our house is pretty small and I needed a place where I could work in quiet. Based on my measurements, I bought 3 boards mesuring 13.5cm x 180cm x 20mm along with some wood screws and 3 eye screws. 



I searched far and wide (on the internet) for some industrial legs that would work for my desk. There wasn't much choice that was within my budget but I stumbled across these three trestle legs on TradeMe for $30. So after heading to the North Shore to pick them up, I was ready to get building.

To save you all the boredom of hearing exactly how I built it, please observe my expertly drawn, detailed plan.



Impressive, I know.

Despite my poor drawing, my desk slowly came together. I measured and remeasured, drilled and screwed and finally was finished with my desk. I had to re-drill the holes for the eye screws a few times to make sure the desk was sturdy enough to survive longer than a night. I'll still need to put wing nuts on the end of the hooks to keep them in place. 



I also grabbed a industrial shelving set from The Warehouse and then spent a good hour putting it together. There were a whole of nuts and bolts involved.

Finally, I can declare the bones of my office done! I really love the desk but I will probably stain it in the future just to give it a bit of protection and make it look a bit more finished.

Next up. sorting out storage and a chair for my office. The desk is a set a bit higher than regular desks so the chair will have to be a bit taller too. TradeMe, here I come. 

2 comments: