Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Map Art: Some places I love


It's been quite awhile since I've posted. Life is crazy busy with Work, Disaster Response, Friends, Family, Pets etc etc so the blog has taken a bit of a back seat. I miss it though and lots of people have been asking for it, so I will try my best to post a couple of times a week. But while I was away, I did get myself a little iPhone and have been playing around with some of the apps avaliable. I've joined the masses and now have Instagram so if you want to check me out, just look right over there (and up a bit) ------------------------->

If you look at Pinterest, you are bound to see some map art. It's all over the place and some amazing projects have surfaced. I love maps, I love to travel, tramp and even studied Geography and Geology at University so maps are a big part of my life. 



I picked up a old New Zealand map book for $6 from an Op Shop on the North Shore awhile ago. I originally bought it to make a Engagement present for my friend Sam and her (now) husband but it's been sitting in my arty craft bag since then. 



So last week, I finally got off my butt and made this sweet little project.



I grabbed the old map book, a small heart shape that I printed offline, some white card and set to work. I chose locations that had some kind of significance to me like Mt Roskill - where I grew up and my parents still live, Stewart Island - where my ancestors were the first white settlers,  Mt. Ngaruhoe - where I went tramping with my best friend and is also known as Mt. Doom from Lord of the Rings plus a whole lot of other places. 



This was a pretty easy project. After cutting the card down to 8 x 10", I centred the heart shape over the place I wanted, drew an outline and then cut out the location. I lined them up on the paper before sticking them down with foam tape to give them a bit of depth. I then put the finished art into a large white frame with matting that I got from The Warehouse for $14.99.  



The art has found its home in my bedroom, leaning against my window above my desk. I love being able to see some of the places I love in a tidy grid form. It sings to my slightly OCD, map loving soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment