Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Creating a Home Office

via Thistlewood Farms


Since moving into our wee rental 8 months ago I've been without a home office. After finishing up at uni, I didn't really see the need for one so I converted my vintage writing desk into a vanity desk. My office supplies were kept in an old blue suitcase that lived in the corner of my wardrobe, with my documents stored on top of it. 


I had visions of making a mini home office in the suitcase but instead, the suitcase turned into a dumping ground for all types of art supplies, stationary and paper work (plus the sash from my Year 12 School Ball). 


Although this has never really worked, its been working a lot less well lately since I've become more involved in my disaster relief team and started a new job as a nanny. I needed a better organisation system that is much easier to access plus a large work space to spread out and do my thing. I love my writing desk as my vanity and it's too small as a work space, so I needed something different.

I headed to Pinterest to find some inspiration and to help figure out exactly what I need for this space. You can check out my Pinterest boards here. 


via Hubsch


 via Almost Bunnies

I love the industrial vibe of the first two and the stunning organisation of the third, but most of all, I love this next office area. 


The rustic plank desk top, the industrial legs and the femininity of the area as a whole is beautiful. I am in love. 

So I've developed a plan to create my home office space. 
  1. Build a plank desk with industrial legs
  2. Source a suitable desk chair. Maybe something industrial, or a refurbished table chair? Definitely not a modern office chair
  3. Buy shelves for storage since the desk will have no drawers
  4. Buy storage boxes for paper supplies, cords, pens and other stationary supplies as well as a pretty concertina file for my document filing
  5. Buy a wireless printer/scanner/copier for all my possible needs. I especially need this when putting together emergency plans for families
  6. Buy a laminator. Same reason as above. 
  7. Start saving tin cans for pen and pencil holders
  8. Turn the old suitcase office into a gift wrapping station
So that is the plan for the home office, I'll hopefully be getting most of it done in the coming fortnight so check back. I look forward to finally getting this done and having a happy organised place to do my work. 


2 comments:

  1. I know you're going to take the best from those offices and make something awesome out of it- cannot wait to see how this progresses :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christle! Can not wait to get it done!

    ReplyDelete